[lm-sensors] How can temp_crit for virtual device be set?
Thomas Mitterfellner
2013-11-28 21:40:24 UTC
Hello!

My laptop (toshiba satellite l770-116, Intel HM65 mainboard) shuts down
frequently when I run CPU intensive tasks. I guess (but I could not find
out for sure) that the temp1_crit setting of for the acpitz-virtual-0
device may be the culprit. It seems to me that a
pretty low value of 84?C is set here. This is the same value I see when
I do acpi -V (cf. output below). I noticed that sometimes (I haven't
found out under which circumstances) this value is set at 99?C, which
seems more reasonable to me as it corrensponds more closely to the value
shown for the physical devices (100?C), and allows for reasonable usage
of the laptop.

I tried adding these values:

chip "acpitz-virtual-0"
set temp1_crit 99.0

To /etc/sensors.d/coretemp, but when doing sensor -s, I get:

Error: File /etc/sensors.d/coretemp, line 3: Failed to set value
acpitz-virtual-0: At least one "set" statement failed

So, how can I adjust the temp_crit1 value of the acpitz-virtual-0 device?

Thank you for your help,

Thomas

# acpi -V
[?]
Thermal 0: ok, 57.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 84.0
degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 105.0
degrees CThermal 0: ok, 57.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 84.0
degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 105.0
degrees C:
[?]

# sensors -u

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:
temp1_input: 73.000
temp1_crit: 84.000

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:
temp1_input: 71.000
temp1_max: 86.000
temp1_crit: 100.000
temp1_crit_alarm: 0.000
Core 0:
temp2_input: 71.000
temp2_max: 86.000
temp2_crit: 100.000
temp2_crit_alarm: 0.000
Core 1:
temp3_input: 71.000
temp3_max: 86.000
temp3_crit: 100.000
temp3_crit_alarm: 0.000

pkg-temp-0-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:
temp1_input: 71.000
Jean Delvare
2013-11-28 22:05:46 UTC
Post by Thomas Mitterfellner
[...]
You can't, thermal zones are read-only at least through the hwmon
interface. If anything can be done, this is through ACPI.
Jean Delvare
Thomas Mitterfellner
2013-11-29 08:00:04 UTC
OK, thanks for that clarification. Do you have a tip on how I could go
about to set it through ACPI?

Who (which program/demon/whatever) is responsible for creating this virtual
device and its settings?
Jean Delvare
Jean Delvare
2013-11-29 08:12:48 UTC
Hi Thomas,

Please don't top-post.
Post by Thomas Mitterfellner
OK, thanks for that clarification. Do you have a tip on how I could go
about to set it through ACPI?
I think it used to be overridable with boot parameters and/or procfs
attributes but I seem to recall this feature was removed from the
kernel some times ago. You'll have to ask the ACPI people for the
current status.

I'm afraid the only possibility left is to customize your DSDT and
override the DSDT with your modified copy at boot time.
Post by Thomas Mitterfellner
Who (which program/demon/whatever) is responsible for creating this virtual
device and its settings?
The kernel itself is doing it, based on ACPI tables / BIOS information.
Jean Delvare
Thomas Mitterfellner
2013-11-30 11:37:15 UTC
Post by Jean Delvare
Post by Thomas Mitterfellner
So, how can I adjust the temp_crit1 value of the acpitz-virtual-0 device?
You can't, thermal zones are read-only at least through the hwmon
interface. If anything can be done, this is through ACPI.
Just for reference: I asked at the linux-acpi list and they advised me
to add termal.crt=<value> to the kernel boot paramters, which I did
(<value>=99) and it actually sets the temperature of the virtual device.

Now I get:

# acpi -V
Thermal 0: ok, 64.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 99.0
degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 105.0
degrees C

and

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device